How to get the arms you’ve always dreamed of!
What to lift: For dumbbell exercises, use five to 10-pound weights. Once you can easily do 12 repetitions, try heavier weights.
How many repetitions: Complete one to two sets of eight to 12 repetitions for each of the exercises you do.
Best Arm Exercises: Side raise
• Stand tall with knees slightly bent. Holding a dumbbell in each hand, let your arms hang by your sides, palms facing in.
• Keep a slight bend in your elbows as you raise your arms out to the sides until the dumbbells are level with shoulders (make sure your palms are facing the floor).
• Lower your arms; repeat to complete 8 to 12 reps.
Best Arm Exercises: Triceps push-up
• Get into a push-up position with your arms straight but with knees on the floor and feet in the air. Hands should be under your chest and closer together than in a regular push-up.
• Tighten abs and bend arms, bringing chest toward the floor. Keep upper arms close to your sides and back straight. Elbows should point behind, not out.
• Straighten arms to the starting position; repeat for 8 to 12 reps or as many as you can do.
Best Arm Exercises: Overhead extension
• Stand with feet hip-width apart and knees slightly bent, gripping the dumbbell with both of your hands.
• Reach your arms overhead, holding the dumbbell vertically. Keep wrists straight. Bend your elbows, lowering the dumbbell behind your head. Keep your upper arms close to your head and elbows pointing toward the ceiling.
• Straighten your arms upward; repeat to complete 8 to 12 reps.
Best Arm Exercises: Biceps curl
• Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, grasping a dumbbell in your hand.
• With palm facing forward, bend your elbow and pull the weight up towards your shoulders.
• Lower your arm. Complete 8 to 12 reps (and do the same on the other arm).
Best Arm Exercises: Dumbbell row
• Hold a dumbbell in your hand and get on one hand and knee on a bench. Keep your back straight; the elbow should be slightly bent and your palm facing inward. (Make sure to align bent knee under hips and hand under the right shoulder.)
• Tighten the abdominal muscles. Squeeze shoulder blades together and lift the weight upwards until the upper arm is parallel to the floor and elbow is slightly behind you.
• Return to start and finish the set. Do 8 to 12 reps, and switch sides.